Moving is a big task. Many people stress about it – and for good reason. There is a lot to think about and handle as you begin the process. For many people, an added pressure is to move with the environment in mind. When you stop and consider how much waste is involved in the moving process, planning an Eco-friendly move is more important than ever. Here are a few tips on how to move with the environment in mind (read more for additional moving tips!).
An Alternative to Cardboard Boxes
Instead of simply buying a huge store of cardboard boxes in which to pack your belongings, first take an inventory of what you already have.
- Plastic Tubs: Do you have any plastic tubs or bins that could be repurposed for your move?
- Shoe Boxes: Do you own any shoe boxes that could be used to pack smaller items?
- Garbage Bags: Additionally, consider other ways to avoid simply using cardboard. Garbage bags are inexpensive, and can be reused after your move.
- Luggage: Instead of packing your luggage in the moving van empty, fill them with clothes from your wardrobe, or other items, such as towels or blankets.
Before you go out and buy bubble wrap or plastic, consider a few alternatives that will both save you money, and protect the environment.
- Newspaper: There are alternatives to buying plastic or bubble wrap. Using recycled newspaper is just as effective as bubble wrap. Silverware, glassware, knives, and other utensils are perfectly protected when you wrap them with newspaper.
- Towels & Bedding: Before you pack your bedding or towels, ask yourself if you could use them to pad breakable items during your move. Towels make excellent padding for packing plates and other breakables.
Call Affordable Moving and Storage for Your Move
When you work with a moving company, your life will be much less stressful, and your belongings will be moved quickly and efficiently. Additionally, hiring a moving company is Eco-friendlier than doing it all on your own. As professional movers, we have helped hundreds of families move locally as well as nationally. Because of this, we are more efficient with our time and packing – we’ll make fewer trips, which is much better for the environment. Call us today to get a free quote for your move!